Wednesday, March 01, 2006

So Much To Learn

I told ML that I could never love a woman whose first language was not English. She gave me one of those "you have so much to learn" smiles and let me keep talking.

As I got on the bus, I remembered the smile. I was going to Email her about it. Could I not get an American, English, Irish, or Australian girl? Was I so socially inept that my best hope was a mail order bride? Was I repugnant?

Then an Asian woman got on the bus. She was sitting there thousands of miles away from her friends and family. She had to be lonely. She was struggling to deal with herself. She was just like me.

A countrywoman of her's got on the bus. And they talked and laughed. I wish I could capture the happiness in their smiles. It was such a release for them. They probably had not really conversed with anyone all day. I did not understand a word they said, but I knew how they felt. It had nothing to do with words. It was about two people being there for one another.

ML is right once again. I have so much to learn.

No comments: