Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mean Things I Have Done

There is a bus sitting at my stop. I ask a frumpy girl if the sitting bus is in service. She replies no.

The bus comes. I get on with the frumpy girl. She sits down near me. I do not say a word.

A beautiful ebony (club) volleyball player gets on and sits across from me. I ask her about volleyball. She goes into a speech about how the national tournament moved from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City. She talked five minutes about herself. The frumpy girl entered the conversation but it was all about volleyball.

I am an asshole.

An unworthy woman will only talk about herself. Worthy women have the courtesy to ask something about you even if they do not care.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Conversation is a lost art. I am however intrigued by your use of the word "worthy." I am not really sure how much you can expect from a 5 minute conversation on the bus. Here is a question for you. In a relationship what do you think couples spend the most time working on? I'd say its communication. Just a thought.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

If you pay attention you can learn a lot from a five minute conversation. I learned the volleyball player was eighteen, jealous of her older sister who went to Vegas over Spring Break and, was playing volleyball because it was something to do. I saw that she looked at her cell phone forty times during a 10 minute ride. I saw she never removed her IPOD headphones.

I am not dooming her to hell. I think she is a nice young girl. But I have no long term romantic (or friendship) interest (worthiness) in her. Of course, she has no interest in me either.

It was just another time where I let my dick cloud my mind. I should have been nicer to the frumpy girl.

There was nothing wrong with the conversation. It was further proof of self-interest.

ML said...

How can conversation be a lost art? If you don't want it to be a lost art, then practice it and talk to people who are interested in conversation, not just talking. Honesty might be a lost art. This story is one of the reasons I cut my hair off. I am more than long curly hair!