Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Why It Hardly Matters

I learned a few important things last year:

1. Moving is difficult. Start-up costs can quickly deplete a budget.

2. The life I live is a choice. I have to understand the consequences of my decisions as best as I can, but I have to decide. Most of life 's difficulties come from the lack of understanding. Once I decide, all I have to do is deal with the consequences.

3. "...there is no conflict of interest among men..."--Ayn Rand
There are misunderstandings that can be solved, but there is never reason for two people to engage in mutually destructive behavior. Never.

4. Confidence overcomes fear. Confidence does not overcome reality.

5. One has to appreciate people. Objects and ideas are nice, but people matter more.

6. From David Zetland's philosophy of travel: "Someone asked me what I learned in five years. I learned that parents love their children. The rest of my experience was about coping with me, what I wanted, what I couldn't get and why that hardly mattered."

7. When something does not work, throw it out.

No comments: