Tuesday, January 03, 2006

What I Am Doing Right Now

Here is a post from MarginalRevolution post:

"Other days are eaten up by errands. And I know it's usually my fault: I let errands eat up the day, to avoid facing some hard problem.

The most dangerous form of procrastination is unacknowledged type-B procrastination, because it doesn't feel like procrastination. You're "getting things done." Just the wrong things.

Any advice about procrastination that concentrates on crossing things off your to-do list is not only incomplete, but positively misleading, if it doesn't consider the possibility that the to-do list is itself a form of type-B procrastination. In fact, possibility is too weak a word. Nearly everyone's is. Unless you're working on the biggest things you could be working on, you're type-B procrastinating, no matter how much you're getting done."

I am real good at this type-B procrastination. I am always at the office. I am always doing something. But nothing important gets done. It is sad. (My philosophical side asks, "what is important?")

(CafeHayek also has some good posts. The New York Times Magazine article was enlightening. The author says some things I have been trying to say.)

A late addition to this post:

I have wasted most of the day. It got me to thinking about what I have really done. So far today, I have checked the news, read a short story on writer's bloc by Ayn Rand, listened to Joe Gibbs, read ESPN.com, lifted, ate lunch, and talked to a guy about how futile my life is for twenty minutes.

Over the past two weeks, I finished reading two books, George Orwell's Why I Write, and Noam Chomsky's The Prosperous Few and the Restless Many, helped my Dad out some at the video and grocery stores, made some video store orders, moved into my apartment, learned how to pay bills, spend a lot of money, worried about my thesis without working, and more that I forget.

I am going to start making "what have I done today" lists every night. I want to see how little I really do.

No comments: