Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Vulnerability Versus Fear

Victims are vulnerable.

I am not vulnerable. I am afraid. Any intelligent person deals with fear. Decisions require choosing between outcomes. These outcomes are not certain. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes you do not try. Fear is a consequence of rationality. Its a consequence of caring about the future. There is nothing wrong with fear. Humanity necessitates fear.

An inner city child with a crack addict mother is vulnerable. An infatuated graduate student who cannot talk to a girl in the gym is afraid.

The economic way of thinking requires me to be skeptical. It requires me to make inferences from observations. It also requires me to be non-judgmental.

"Nice flowers, Erica"
"Thank You"
--an overheard conversation between statistics graduate students

No comments: