Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Smiley Faces, Exclamation Points And Why Life Is So Funny

I pray this post does not offend any of my readers.

I have never understood exclamation points, so I certainly do not understand smiley faces.

Smiling is a personal emotional response. Does a smiley face mean you want me to smile? Does it mean you smiled while you were writing? If that is true, aren't you like the comic who laughs at his own jokes? I just do not get it. Let your writing elicit emotions. Do not tell me how I feel.

Smiley faces confuses communication. What purpose do they serve? If someone could explain smiley faces and exclamation points to me I would greatly appreciate it.

With that rant out of the way, life is hilarious.

I am infatuated with a girl I know nothing about except that she comes to the gym. Her gym schedule has changed, slowly (but surely) decreasing my infatuation. "Out of sight, out of mind."

Basically, I think my life is boring. I am looking for something to excite me, something to happen.

But then I read ML's sister's comment on ML's blog and see how funny life is.

Not knowing what is going to happen next is enough excitement for me.

5 comments:

ML said...

Life is hilarious and I think the smiley faces and exclamation points might add to it. She sent an e-mail later on and she and the mom had made bead necklaces and ate chocolate and she said she was feeling better.

Jilian said...

:)

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Are you laughing at me, with me, or flipping me the proverbial bird?

Maybe confusion is the point of smiley faces.

Jilian said...

Translation: I enjoyed the post

Probably because I totally overuse :) and !. It adds life to words. Maybe you're elequent enough your words don't need any additions. Or maybe it's just my bubbliness that likes to emphasize?

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Bubbly people can use smiley faces.

What I have learned from this post and comments:

1. Smiley faces add to life being funny.

2. People have good reasons for using smiley faces.

3. The people who use smiley faces understand that life is funny better than I do.