Sunday, February 12, 2006

Discussion

Yesterday I had a discussion with a superior Indian colleague. We discussed the futility of economics. We discussed how people matter. We discussed making the world better.

Today I had a discussion with a superior American colleague. We argued. He was a Christian who put his faith in faith. He blamed the world's problems on selfishness. He said the Bible showed people the ideal utility function based on selflessness. He talked about solving small problems. He had faith that small answers would solve big problems. He had faith in a collective good. He told me I had no clear vision.

I agree.

I see the ideal as individuals pursuing their personal interests. I see limited government. I see a society valuing productivity. I see individuals reaching their potential. I see a society which recognizes there are "no conflicts of interests among men."

No comments: