Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Holy Trinity And Finding Religion

I am reading Galbraith's Economics, Peace and Laughter, Rand's The Romantic Manifesto, and Bastiat's The Law. They are all good reads. They emphasize the importance of the individual. They all step beyond positivism and venture into what should be. All three make me think.

A professor sent David Brook's NY Times editorial this morning about the significance of culture and the insignificance of economics. He refuses to say what culture is right. Economics supports a classical liberal society. It is significant in teaching the advantages of that society. Of course, culture matters. Of course, changing people's culture is difficult. But for significant change to occur, we must admit that our culture is better. We must champion Bastiat's philosophical fundamentals "personality, liberty, property" or Jefferson's "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (property)." Bastiat also called them "existence, faculties, and assimilation." Those fundamentals must be our Holy Trinity.

I must regress into personal introspection. It is clear "I am looking for answers in a woman's eyes" (paraphrased from U2's "Slow Dancing".) I made it a priority to find a woman.

My college roommate found religion chasing after two beautiful women.

When this pursuit did not materialize, he fell in love with another woman. He did not sleep in the room often his senior year. He lost religion. He quit track. He barely graduated. He almost got in legal trouble. I almost had to beat his ass for involving me in his legal trouble.

But he was in love. It was a great experience for him.

I want feedback. I want a woman to talk to, a woman who pays attention to me. My roommate wanted similar things. But these are not needs. They have to be balanced with my other wants. They cannot supersede graduation, religion and friends.

I always thought that U2's "Love is...a dangerous idea that almost makes sense" was poignant. Love as an idea appeals to me. It is what makes me think I can go find a woman. It puts the game in my hands.

ML thought love could not be reduced to a sentence. She is right.

No comments: