Friday, October 06, 2006

Private Schools

Last night I ranted about how all education should be private. My colleague from Southwest Virginia proceeded to tell me that 60% of children at the school where her mother taught were on free lunch. She said most of the children's parents were hooked on meth, in jail, or should be in jail. She said sometimes children will miss a month of school without any explanation from their parents. She said without government forcing parents to send their children to school there would be no school for these children. GGM also assured me I was a fool.

And I still think all schools should be private. There is no doubt in my mind that churches and concerned citizens armed with their tax rebates would fill gaps the public system cannot. I imagine church vans picking up students. I imagine drivers walking into houses, waking up children, helping them dress, and making sure they got their education. I imagine ingenious teachers freed from "standards" helping children find their individual place in the world. I imagine a better world.

But what am I going to do to make it happen?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine more people not going to school.

I imagina more people selling drugs in their teens b/c they can make money.

I imagine more welfare checks.

I imagine more guns on the street b/c fewer people are in school.

I imagine more ignorance.

You cannot make policy in a vacuum.

Why the hell are you fighting this fight? It's simply a different approach with the same outcome. And while half might gain, half will also see if as an inconvenice. Im of the latter opinion.

GGM

Wannabe Bastiat said...

You are the one making policy in a vacuum.

How many "students" are wasting their time in school right now?

Who is going to buy the drugs? If everyone is uneducated and poor, who is going to demand drugs?

Government failure. Let's do away with welfare while we are at it.

I imagine fewer guns in schools.

I imagine a more specialized society. I imagine dumb and intelligent kids learning more than they do now because individual schools can cater to their needs.

You are right. It is a losing battle but an important one.

Anonymous said...

Your world exists according to a simple principle: nothing exists, only theory. We all all walking theory like the matrix. Changes send you directly from point A to point B.

Reality doesn't work this way. Why not discuss how this could reasonably be accomplished rather than why it should be?

GGM

ps. who is going to demand the drugs? the same ones who want then now. illegal drugs have on little theory related behavior. young people buy the drugs because they are there, not because 'there's a discount this week'.

And I do not think this is an important battle. Maybe during the advent of public education (which was the result of a collective decision). (you oppose to accept collective anything, but what you do not recognize is that failure to act is also collective.) But I do not see any productivity in reinventing the wheel.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

You have to have money to buy drugs. You have to satisfy needs before you can want drugs. You have to eat. You have to be clothed. The argument was without public education everyone would be poor. Well poor people do not have the ability to use drugs. I also think most people learn to use drugs at school. With private schools that would still be the case, but parents and students could be more selective.

The original intention of public education was fine, but it is time for a change.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel. I am trying to improve the wheel.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

You have to have money to buy drugs. You have to satisfy needs before you can want drugs. You have to eat. You have to be clothed. The argument was without public education everyone would be poor. Well poor people do not have the ability to use drugs. I also think most people learn to use drugs at school. With private schools that would still be the case, but parents and students could be more selective.

The original intention of public education was fine, but it is time for a change.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel. I am trying to improve the wheel.