Sunday, October 15, 2006

Good Intentions

There are three types of people in the world. There are those who ask why, those who choose not to ask why, and those that cannot ask why.

My biggest problems have always came with those who choose not to ask why. I could never understand those people who took the rules and bullshit as given and ran with it. These would be the undergraduate students (predominantly female) who worried more about an A than learning anything or Professors and professionals who care more about who you worked for than if you had an intelligent idea in your head. Those who spent their life running away from challenging questions in order to answer the easy ones extremely well.

But I have learned unconstrained maximization problems are much harder to solve. This does not mean they are not worth solving. It just means my "question everything" philosophy has started to wear on me.

I just spent 45 minutes repairing a $5 pair of headphones. They will probably stop working tomorrow, but I feel damn good right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's also a 4th kind of person: one who answers "why?".

GGM

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Answering one "why" only leads to asking another "why."

Anonymous said...

Somewhere in this equation someone gets paid.

If someone offers togive you money, are you going to ask why?

GGM