Sunday, May 07, 2006

Calming Down

Lately I have been wondering about my calling in life. What am I supposed to be doing?

On my chalkboard I have written, "While you are figuring life out, you have to do something." I wrote it a month ago. I wrote it because I was not doing anything. I have not done anything since I wrote it.

When I start thinking this way I go through my idea folder. Today I was looking for something I wrote about the philosophy of science. I could not find it , but I said something like "the philosophy of science cannot be discussed until the question of the public classroom is addressed."

I did find this:

The individual is a perfectionist. He is an idealist with a clear vision.
But once the individual develops colleagues, once he forms his cartel, his regression begins. He tries to make decisions in the best interest of the group. His new vision is murky. He quickly becomes a "realist."
Public goods are a myth. There is "no best interest of the group." There is only my interest.
This does not answer my original question, but I thought it was relevant.
A blog is an online idea folder.
While I am figuring life out, I have to do something.
I am going to study.

4 comments:

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Yes, the payoffs to the individual are better. They are payoffs derived without coercion, without force, without slavery.

What does "economically speaking" mean?

There is no public or majority. Therefore, it cannot be rejected.

All the important improvements concern individual freedom, something realists cannot understand.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Why do you suddenly equate payoffs with paychecks? Utility is a subjective concept. The only way individuals can maximize their happiness is to be free.

The Holocaust is the best example of what happens when individual rights are trumped for the imaginary "public."

Reality does not prevent the ideal. Realists prevent it. We will never have free trade as long as the WTO exists. We will never have peace as long as there are unlimited governments.

Stephen said...

I would say that "getting people to think" is an interesting goal, but it is very hard to measure. I'd challange you to set a tangible, measuareable goal, any goal, and try to get it done in the next month. Perhaps you are just out of practice.

Anonymous said...

Are you saying Hitler personally killed all his "enemies?"

He did not. It required the realists who followed him. It was the NAZI "government" who imposed its will on other indivdiuals.

Your are the one who is imposing his thoughts on someone else. You do not want Wal-Mart so you use your government to block them. You are imposing your thoughts. You are the Hitler.

Sam, I will deal with you later. You are as bad as GGM.