Monday, October 31, 2005

Resolution

When I started this blog, I asked ML's opinion. Her response irritated me. She chastised me for asking her opinion. She said I was a grown boy who needed to make his own decisions. The next day, a mutual friend told me she was teaching me a lesson. She responded like I would have responded. She blew something out of proportion. She was critical. She was just like me.

I want to make people think. After people get to know me, I want them to say, "I don't agree with half of the shit that comes out of his mouth, but he made me think." I want them to ask themselves, "what would WB say about this?"

My father got me to read "1984" at thirteen. It was my first taste of thought provoking literature. The idea of stopthink has stuck with me.

I cannot stopthink and it makes me unattractive. I cannot enter a situation without analyzing it. I cannot 'let go' without asking Why?.

I have resolved to be less critical. The new WB is not even going to give a reason for the resolution.

*stopthink - the practice of halting one's train of thought as soon as there is danger of questioning adopted orthodoxies

Here are two ideas related to this post that WB will forget:

Economists should champion optimism in times of pessimism and pessimism in times of optimism.

"...a vision of the kind of culture we ought to live in: one filled with interesting ideas, fearless discussion, and beautiful art, not as an infrequent exception, but as the everyday norm."--Robert Tracinski

2 comments:

ML said...

WB, I would say you have made me stop and think many times. I'm glad we were thrown into this crazy program together.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Thanks. Your comment is the best compliment one can receive. You make me think also.