Wednesday, May 10, 2006

To Spalding Gray

Went to church looking for Truth
All I found was a congregation

Went to university looking for reason
All I found were obstacles

Went to a woman looking for spirituality
All I found was tension

Went to a hospital looking for healing
All I found was greed

Went to the river looking for a sliver of hope
And I found it

The waters flowed without care
Did not give a damn about fair
Or the lack of hair,
Or money,
Or churches,
Or schools,
Or women,
Or hospitals

If it flooded
People scurried

If it dried
People cried

It always won

I jumped in because of hope
But when I emerged my sins still perspired from my soul

I knew I was not the river
I felt empty
I wanted to run
I wanted to hide

But all I could do
Was "wholeheartedly accept the struggle"

And again it began
Longing for something not there

No comments: