Wednesday, November 30, 2005

International Colleagues 5

Here is a conversation between myself and an Ethiopian colleague. He and I had just failed a meaningless exam. If I let that exam have any effect on my life than I am a bigger fool than the professor who wrote it.

Ethiopian: "I am destroyed. I am done."

Myself: "Destroyed! You have a wife and child back in Ethiopia that still loves you! I have no prospects!"

Ethiopian: "Have you ever been to Ethiopia?"

He really didn't say the last part, but I forget that sometimes this meaningless degree means more to others than it does to me.

ML and I had some interesting discussions about life today. Unfortunately, I cannot think of anything to say about them.

The economist's role is to illuminate the decision. His role is to make people think. His role is to see what is not seen.

Sitting on the fence puts splinters in your ass.

I am not saying that one has to have an opinion on everything, but he has to know why he does not have an opinion.

"Why?" is the question that separates the positivists from the normativists.

No comments: