Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What I Am Reading

1. I just finished James Buchanan's The Demand and Supply of Public Goods. Applied economists (especially welfare economists) need to read Buchanan. But they won't.

2. I have started Peter Kennedy's A Guide to Econometrics Third Edition. I am going back to the basics. The beauty of statistics is in its simplicity and practicality. Many modern econometricians have forgotten this beauty.

3. I am almost done with Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life. I like Rand's purpose driven life better than Warren's. I do like the idea of having a purpose behind all of your actions. I just do not think you can eliminate self. Self is much too important to be eliminated.

4. I have just started James L. Kugel's How to Read the Bible. It promises to be an interesting historical journey. I have already gained prospective on why the Bible was written and the numerous interpetations of Abraham's near sacrifice of Isaac.

5. I am rapidly reading Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. Fast paced fiction like sit-coms still gives me the most joy.

6. I just started Tyler Cowen's Discover Your Inner Economist. I have it a feeling it won't take me long to finish or put down. He has already used a lot of topics from MarginalRevolution. I do like his premise that people are complicated (screwed up), and simplfying behavior is foolish.

7. I started reading Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus. I loved The Plague. But I don't know if I am ready for this one yet.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I don't suppose I could borrow Buchanan's book? I finished Ayers Super Crunchers and haven't settled on my next book yet.