Sunday, December 20, 2009

Thoughts While Watching People Drive On Ice Who Should Stay The Hell At Home

1. This morning my wife in San Antonio asked me "Why would you drive on the snow and ice if you didn't have to?" I replied "I have to get out of the apartment." She said "Getting out can wait until the afternoon when the sun, plows, and the idiots have made it much easier." She had a point, but afternoon is here, and I have cabin fever.

2. I really enjoy It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Office. I don't know exactly what the word irreverent means, but irreverent is the first word that comes to my mind. Both shows are just funny and perfect for the 20-minute format.

3. I watched the complete season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and most of The Office online for free. I know the advertisers can't be putting that much into the shows. I know Steve Carell gets paid a lot of money. Media is constantly changing, and advertising is changing. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

4. On a similar note, I finally finished Gladwell's Blink. To me, the next frontier of marketing, politics, social science research involves the idea that "we don't know much of anything when it comes to humans, but what do we do with what we think we know?" This revelation isn't enlightening and the idea has been around forever. But we have finally moved past the Renaissance/enlightenment idea that humans can know it all. The idea that given time and proper experiments we could discover the secrets of the universe. Micro-evolution and adaptation are not deterministic processes. It isn't about probability either. The last year should have taught people that there are fundamental shifts and changes. The past only approximates the future, and the quality of this approximation changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think hulu almost negates the need for cable television. If MLB and NFL games weren't so expensive to subscribe to online, I would be happy to ditch cable entirely.