Sunday, April 06, 2008

Something To Say Or Nothing To Say But I Write Anyway

The other morning I set three alarm clocks. I usually do not set any. But the other morning was important. I spaced the alarm times just to make sure I did not hit snooze and forget.

My atomic alarm clock reset itself to pacific time in the middle of night. (I might have hit an incorrect button, but it is atomic time, it should know what time zone without me programming it.) This was my first alarm.

My phone had no signal, so it couldn't connect to the network or register a time. This was my second alarm.

Now my 20 year old AM clock radio saved the day.

I am certainly not some nut who says we depend too much on technology, but the whole thing made me wonder.

Paul Simon says it well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every time the power goes out here my atomic clock decides it wants to be in Eastern Standard Time. The power doesn't go out very often so its always a struggle to remember how to change it back.

In India the power goes out about once a day, if only for a few minutes. My mom carries a windup alarm clock for those trips.

I think alarm clock technology peaked quite a few years ago.