Thursday, April 03, 2008

"I Lost Track Of The Score Long Ago"*

The other night I was playing basketball with a couple of friends and a couple of twelve year olds. We were playing on a gravel court with a cheap rubber basketball. The twelve year olds had home-court advantage. I was playing in boots that blistered my feet and restricting jeans. My friends had a couple of beers in them. It kept getting darker and darker. As the game continued it kept getting more intense. We were shoving each other for rebounds. We were scrapping for loose balls. The older guys were feeding off the fearlessness of the twelve year olds.

But we lost track of the score. The game became about scoring the next point. It was like playing "next point wins" for a hundred consecutive points. It was wonderful.

It was the greatest thing I have been a part of in a long time.

*Jackson Browne

No comments: