Saturday, March 15, 2008

Jimi Hendrix Singing "Lord, I Hear My Train A Comin'" Or What I Am Reading

I am still reading How to Read the Bible. I enjoy it. It summarizes true Bible scholarship. It asks difficult questions. It makes me think.

I am also still reading Understanding Econometrics. I haven't got too far. That says something about how much I care about econometrics.

1. My opinion has not changed about Woodward and Bernstein's All the President's Men. It is good but not great. As an American I feel obligated to read it.

2. I am most of the way through with Robert Boice's Professors as Writers: A Self-Help Guide to Productive Writing. It has been the most practical guide to writing that I have found. All writing books have the same premise: suck it up, forget the bullshit, and write. He does a good job of saying this and also giving specific example of how to suck it up and forget the bullshit.

3. I have started Katherine E. Browne's Creole Economics. She is an anthropologist studying the informal economy of Martinique. I am not an anthropologist, but I appreciate her work. I am trying to research the role of the Trickster mythological character in economics. (I cannot believe I just wrote that sentence.) I have no theses or coherent thoughts on the subject yet, but I think the way the way a society views the Trickster myth compares to the way a society views the entrepreneur. (I really cannot believe I wrote that sentence.)

4. I am getting ready to start Daniel Botkin's Discordant Harmonies. I cannot wait.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

until we get our first publications I don't think we will understand being a writer. What is the trickster mythology?

Wannabe Bastiat said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster

Jacob is a trickster in the Hebrew tradition.

Anonymous said...

You just don't get it do you - you don't have to have publications to understand what it's like to be a writer. By the same token, having publications doesn't make you a writer, it just makes you one of the many assholes that's managed to get someone to buy into your ideas.

All that matters is money, cash, hoes. Fuck the rest, it's all bullshit anyway.