Monday, March 24, 2008

The Car Problem

I have a 1994 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer. It has a Vortec 4.3 Liter engine. It has a 145,000 miles on it. The transmission leaks some, but after using some stopleak, the leak has subsided. I am still worried about the transmission. It does not burn oil and runs well. Some interior features are broken, but overall, it is tolerable. It has had a good amount of work ($2500) done to it in the last couple of years. I am getting around 17-20 miles a gallon. Currently it needs rear brakes and an emergency brake. In a few months, it will need new tires. The four wheel drive also does not work.

I think I should run it into the ground while keeping my eye out for something in case I have to make a quick decision. I see this as maximizing my cash flow by preventing a $200 a month car payment and keeping my insurance low. Even if I spend a $1000 a year in repairs, it is cheaper than a car payment.

The old man says I should get a new car sooner rather than later. He does not believe me that the four wheel drive does not work and thinks I can get money in a trade-in. He told me this after driving and riding in it.

The short term question is: Do I get the brakes fixed?

The intermediate questions are: Do I put on new tires? and How good of tires do I buy?

The overall questions are: Do I stick to my "run it into the ground" strategy? or Do I suck it up and get a new car?

3 comments:

Stephen said...

The kelly blue book seems to be in the neighborhood of $900. I think the bottom line is how often does it need to drive down to SC?

Wannabe Bastiat said...

It has run well to South Carolina, and it usually gives me 20 to 21 miles per gallon. I think is just isn't going to start or go into gear one day. I don't think I will blow the engine on the interstate.

I also have AAA Plus which will help me with towing in case of emergency.

In other words, I have minimized my risk of breaking down away from home. The only cost would be a temporary rental car while I found a replacement. This cost could be substantial, but I think it is a low probability that it would be over a few hundred dollars.

Stephen said...

drive it into the ground then.