Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Resistance

Sam and I have been studying resistance, specifically insecticide resistance and antibiotic resistance. It is really a classic problem. It is the law of diminishing returns. You use something more, and it becomes worth less. When mosquitoes become resistant to the insecticides, Africans die of malaria. The same is true with antibiotics and bacteria except Westerners die too.

But I keep thinking that resistance is a wonderful problem to have. There has to be an effective product before resistance becomes worrisome. When there was no penicillin there was no resistance worries, and more people died.

I doubt if Sam or I can really contribute much to the resistance "problem." We certainly will not create the next drug that makes reisistance insignificant again.

But honestly I am not worried. It will work out.

Extra Thought
Sam has been reading about Black Swans. He is fascinated by them. I hope to comment later in the week.

No comments: