Friday, May 25, 2007

Calories Per Dollar

I eat like an economist. I maximize calories per dollar. Given my budget I try to eat as much as possible.

For example, I went to Arby's. They have this magnificent 5 for $5.95 promotion. When making my decision, I immediately gave up on a diet drink for mozzarella sticks. I can get something to drink anywhere. I ended with two Roast Beef Melts, a curly fry, an apple turnover and the mozzarella sticks. I would have been just as happy getting a chicken sandwich combo for a similar price. But I had to maximize the mythical "value" function. I had to indirectly maximize my calories per dollar.

ML likes to use red and yellow peppers. Red and yellow peppers are expensive. I could never justify using them. But last night I tried them. I was pleasantly surprised. They do add something special to a meal. Something that increases the quality without increasing the calories.

My eating behavior is going to haunt me for the rest of my life. I have to do something different. I can eat well and eat less at the same time. I need to add yellow and red peppers. I need to add flavor in lieu of calories to my diet.

I want to write some goals or some proclamations about what I am going to do, but that would be foolish.

No matter how much I try to change, I cannot escape my family roots. I will always get much pleasure out of eating. Like my grandfather and father, I will always live scared of not having enough to eat. I will always maximize my calories per dollar.

But I can try to get better.

No comments: