Monday, May 07, 2007

How To Read

After observing that others read more than I do and wanting to correct this imbalance, I have decided to not only buy and collect books but also read them.

The problem I have is if I really read a book, it takes time. I write in the book. I critique every page. There is no way I can do this with every book, and I have improved with my "before bed" books. I do not even have a pen near the bed. But I think I have to get more books through the "before bed" queue.

Currently my bedtime book is Stuart Evey's ESPN. I have read the first couple of chapters. It flows, but I think I have already got the deepest insights. Should I move on to something else? Should I finish it or skim it? Does ESPN have anything to contribute to my life? What would I be missing if I put it down now? What am I missing if I continue to read it?

The easy solution is to read more. But the theme of this blog comes out again: I don't know. And no one knows. It is foolish to search for answers to questions that do not matter.

Yesterday a preacher said, "We will always have doubts." I disagreed with his context, but he has a point.

No comments: