Friday, May 14, 2010

Thursday Night TV

I've mentioned before that I think sit-coms are this great format for our attention deficit times.  This means I enjoy NBC's Thursday night programming.  But I think Parks and Rec and The Office are messing with the format and making me think too much.

They both have these complicated love stories going on that they are teasing for an end-of-season push.  But they are making them more complicated than they need to be.  Michael Scott is screwing a married woman.  This is funny for an episode, maybe two.  But meeting the husband and letting the story carry over into a fourth episode is too much.  Way too heavy for The OfficeParks and Rec has been developing this relationship between April (the young cute slacker) and the shoe-shine guy (the older [my age] dumb slacker).  Last night was time for the relationship to really begin, but they pushed it back an episode or two.  The episode itself was a cliff-hanger.

These shows don't need cliff-hangers.  Each episode is a 22 minute self-contained laugh-fest.  You can only make adultery funny for an 22-44 minutes.  After that, it looks way too much like the real world that everyone is trying to avoid by watching these shows.  Maybe this is why I enjoy watching re-runs more than day and date shows.

I will say that Community still rocks.   

No comments: