Friday, May 21, 2010

Some Thoughts

1.  I don't care about cycling.  I don't follow it.  I think what Lance Armstrong accomplished was great, but I don't follow it well enough to know how great.  I was interested in the Landis Tour de France case because I thought it was interesting from a legal-normative perspective.  How did he only fail one test on one day?  Wouldn't you expect the steroids-testosterone levels to be out of line in every test during the Tour?  In sports, should you be assumed guilty and have to prove your innocence.  When should we take away titles and wins?  I don't know.  (I might have missed something about the case.  And it has been a long time ago.)  What I am trying to say is that I believed Landis then.  And I believe him now also.  And I don't care.  I think cycling should just admit that it cannot police the sport and say if we can't test for it, then it is fine to do until we do have a test for it.  I guess this is my feeling about baseball too.  Let's let the past go.  

2.  I walk into a posh bathroom.  It reeks.  Somebody has blown it up.  Completely destroyed it.  I want to turn around.  All I can think about is why hasn't there been an invention to relieve this problem.  I guess you could do it with perfumes, but I think there has to be some type of fan to suck the gas out of the air.  Again I don't know.  But there is no worse feeling than walking into a first-class bathroom at a nice place and being hit with a wave of stink.        

No comments: