Thursday, September 21, 2006

"Whose Constitution Should Be Spread Where?"

A colleague asked me this question earlier this week. She challenged me to reconsider my views on constitutional government. She challenged me to stop being so American-centric. Classic liberalism must have limitations. And, classical liberalism never supported violently pushing constitutions down people's throat. And, how can one allow starvation and war in the name of an ideology? She said I wanted to spread my constitution everywhere.

My first reply was to rehash the difficulty of the initial endowment question. If I screw up, it is my fault. I had a good home and have been given every opportunity in the world. But with that kid in Africa or that poor inner-city kid, how can I talk about individual choice? Can we really punish children for their parent's mistakes? Can I really watch children starve in the name of libertarianism? Without taxes, I could give more to charity. Would I? I do not have an answer to these questions, but aren't the answers essential to my position?

For a little while, I was in a quandary, but then Sam sent me this Email:

I read this article and thought you would be able to appreciate it. What does this say about local knowledge? I am sure there are smart business people in the developing world but what to you do about the equally stupid and unruly populists? It seems wrong to let them starve, but what else is there for them to do if they forsake property rights and the rule of law?

I have no problem with someone who believes in something. A man who looks you in the eye and says "I am right, and here is why" can do great things.

So my constitution consists of one mandate stolen from Ayn Rand, "I have the right to exist." This means I have a right to the fruits of my labor and acumen. I have the right to property I earn. I have the right to choose. I have the right to my sphere. Of course this is vague, but it is true. It requires people to be honest with themselves. It puts responsibility on the individual instead of blaming non-existent entities.

It does not mean that the people of Baghdad have to accept American ways, but they as individuals have to decide. Neither majority rule nor dictators can decide for them. Each person has to look inside himself and decide what he or she wants.

And this constitution should be spread everywhere.

No comments: