Tuesday, September 26, 2006

In Response To Helibroner's Introduction To The Worldly Philosophers

This is what floats my boat. All the math, the bullshit, discourages me. It is just a means to an end. I love making money and knowing making money is good for the world.

It is all normative. Well, anything worth a damn is normative. It isn't good enough to say "it is" and that is it. A model is only as good as what it predicts. An idea is only as good as what it can change. One must say that artificial product differentiation is perverse before he can decide its effects, before he can be man enough to admit he is wrong.

My finance professor (and the professor I am most indebted to) told us "the greatest financial market is a grocery store." He was right.


No matter how much I delude myself, I cannot escape the grocery store. I love two things in the world: women and economics. I am getting neither right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

possibly competition is preventing a desireable/feasible solution.

Or maybe the fact that you are getting neither is the solution. Possibly you've developed your own zero-sum game.

OR, most likely is that this is an infinite game where there is no winning strategy, you just hope to win eventually.

Maybe it's time to take a "positive" approach.

GGM