Monday, July 18, 2005

Why are going to grad school?

You know what makes me so sick? You know what makes me so angry I just to wanna spit in a 300 lb. gorilla's face? When I asked Shelly (upcoming senior at K-State majoring in both Econ and Ag Econ) why she was going to grad school, she responded with, "...because I don't want a job right now." How fucking stupid is that? How irresponsible? How juvenile?

Graduate school is a really big deal! Becca (upcoming senior at New Mexico State majoring in Ag Econ) said, "Shelly is going because she can". I don't know about you, but that pisses me the fuck off. You have hard working, smart, intelligent undergrads fighting for assistantships and grant funds and here comes some lazy competitor that could snatch all of that away from those that have a reason or a purpose for learning more at grad school.

Granted people do things all the time for the same reason, "because they can". I've even said it myself and I'm quite disgusted with myself too. What happened to 'I want to be a professor or scientist or foreign service officer'? The want in people feeds drive and determination to succeed. Slaves brought forth on this continent do not have this drive, so they become lazy. People come to America because they want something. Shelly should make every immigrant angry at America's youth. WAKE UP AMERICA!!

4 comments:

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Department Head Seminar Today

Ag. Econ Graduate Student Characteristics to Avoid:

1. Female
2. High Verbal GRE Scores
3. Non-Economic Undergraduate Degrees

He says he has empirical proof. This post is of course an oversimplification, but I can give more details if anyone is interested.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Calm down a minute, brother.

I have two questions. Is this chick good looking? And, does she support free trade?

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Last one. Why did you go to Grad School, Job Less? Why did I go to Grad School? Why did our colleagues go to Grad School?

We are all running away from something.

What is the proper reason to go to Grad School?

ML said...

I went to graduate school because I wanted to get my PhD so that I could teach at the college level. Teaching at the college level had been my goal since my second year of undergrad. The question is...why do I no longer want to go to graduate school? WB, you continue to confuse me with your seemingly forward thinking and then your sexist comments.