Tuesday, July 12, 2005

How Old Am I?

This week is freshman orientation at the university. I am trying to get a shot at the clinic when a freshman girl with a little spaghetti strapped halter top and breasts begging to come out and play walks into the waiting room where I am sitting. She is terrified that she has not chosen a major, that she chose the wrong classes, that her roommate will be the devil, and all of the rest of the things that freshman fear. She immediately recognizes from my baldness that I am not a freshman and spills her troubles. My answer was: "Trust me. I am a professional student. It will all work out." At the time, I thought I helped the girl, but now all I can think about is how old I am (and her perky breasts.)

I know this anecdote does not have much to do with searching for the Truth, but I feel better now that I have written it.

But, I cannot help to point out that six years of college does make you a more productive citizen. I know so much more than I did as a freshman. Establishing human capital will always be the key to growth on both a personal and national level.

1 comment:

Wannabe Bastiat said...

That last sentence almost sounds like I support public education.

I don't.

Establishing human capital is a complicated process that concerns much more than school. Going to a university and getting a degree does not guarantee that you will be a more productive citizen. Look at Career Intern. (I am hoping to get a response out of him sometime this week.)