Friday, July 15, 2005

Observations

I hate getting a haircut. I cannot think of any worse waste of time that costs you money.

I was talking to some colleagues today. One said that his brother was going to work for a company located in Ohio that was doubling its workforce (from 100 employees to 200 employees). I made a lame joke about how I thought all of the US's jobs were going to India. One colleague saw the humor, while the other did not. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that economists are part of the problem and not the solution. You should have to understand and appreciate the lessons that economics teaches before they give you a degree in the subject.

I have been observing this weight-room girl for the last four months. (A weight-room girl just scans cards and prays that nobody hurts themselves.) At first she was diligent about working all of the time she was on the clock. She picked up weights, sprayed the machines, and was pleasant to the old men. Now, she just sits at the desk, reads People magazine, and rarely acknowledges anyone's existence. I would not hire her at my video store. I feel the same way about myself. Graduate school has not increased my work ethic. It has made me bitter and a schemer who always tries to find the easy way out of something remotely difficult.

I read this Environmental Engineering T-shirt today with "Saving Humans from Themselves" written on it. I am glad that I now know Environmental Engineers are God.

No comments: