Thursday, July 28, 2005

Am I Sexist?

We had our first external commenter today. The comment came on JobLess's emotionally charged post. I was accused of making "sexist comments." So, I did what I do best; I rationalized my actions.

There is a difference between sexism and sexuality. Sexism is denying opportunity specifically because of gender. The department head not promoting a professor only because she is female is sexist. Sexuality is the appreciation of the human body. Describing the lust that encompasses me when a woman fills out a pair of black stretchy pants just right is sexuality.

Some will say that my definition of sexism is too narrow. I invite their comments.

Since I am in no position to deny opportunity to anyone, I cannot be sexist. Since my heart beats, I cannot help but be sexual.

3 comments:

ML said...

I would agree that there is a difference between the two. Perhaps I should have said it was degrading. I know that most of the time the things you say are in jest and I meant it back in jest, but there was a grain of truth to both our comments.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

Do I deny their existence?

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace claudia.