Monday, July 18, 2005

Another Question and Leadbelly's "The Bourgeois Blues"

How has Japan's, Germany's, and Western Europes's economies performed over the past decade?


http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=grant/050715

This links to an interesting article by Alan Grant on what "keeping it real" means.

We all have diverse backgrounds. How much do we have to compromise to reach our goals?

I always thought that "I had to become what I hate" to succeed. Growing up I disliked 'preppies' and their 'yuppie' parents. Their privilege caused me great disdain. I certainly had it plenty good compared to the majority of the world, but I did not want to agree with their definitions of success. Now, I am a yuppie with yuppie colleagues who participates in yuppie institutions (like blogging).

A colleague chastised my logic on this issue. She claimed that I was just making excuses for my failures. She said every decision is personal, and in the end, the individual has to take responsibility for that choice and not blame society. In other words, I like blogging therefore I do it. Really, this conclusion is reached by Grant also. They are both are correct, but it is an interesting discussion.

In fairness to myself, I do not think that I was blaming anyone. I think that I was just searching for the Truth.

No comments: