Monday, August 13, 2007

Things I Have Come To Learn

1. Ask the nurse or lab or someone how much a blood test is going to cost before getting it done. I just had a $400 blood test that my family doctor back home calls a "worthless catch-all test that says nothing." Maybe insurance will pay some of it, but I will not know for a couple of weeks, so I had to pay it now or face a $50 late charge.

2. I came to graduate school thinking I could fix U.S. health care. Graduate school has taught me graduate students, professors, and administrators cannot fix anything. It takes pissed off individuals. I must not be pissed off enough.

3. The apple does not fall far from the tree. The things I dislike about my Dad are the same things I dislike about myself. The same things that will lead him to an early grave will lead me. Some of it is genetics, some of it is experience, but most of it is stupidity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in regard to #2.

You can put faith in God and faith in yourself. But i don't think you can put all of your faith in the system to fix anything.

You have already placed faith in God.

But do you have the faith in yourself that will allow you to make a change? Almost more importantly, are you willing to show that to others? I know the answer to both, but it doesn't matter if I write it here.

All I know is once a person is willing to do that, it's like torquing a pipe wrench - with a long handle. Will take a team of quaterhorses to stop that pipe, wheel of life, whatever - from turning.


GGM