Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"Hey Big Man, Let Me Hold A Dollar"*

I went to a luncheon with the President of the University. It reminded me why I dislike politics. But it reminded that powerful men got that power for some reason. They might not be the best men for the job, but they did get the job.

The luncheon was filled with undergraduates so I remember a paragraph from James Buchanan's What Should Economists Do? while he was at this university:

"...If you allow me, for a moment, to strip the academic regalia and express myself solely and exclusively as a member of the general taxpaying public, I should argue the "product" now issuing from many tax-supported liberal arts colleges and universities does not measure up to my standards of human quality improvement. Instead of turning out "better" men and women, some of these institutions seem to me to be producing at least some young men and women who are demonstrably "worse" than their counterparts who did not enjoy the benefits of my tax dollars. I have on several occasions, along with others, called some of these products the "new barbarians," a term which seems descriptive in several respects and for which I find no need to apologize."

Most kids are not bad, but I think some do not learn the discpline and proper behavior until after college.

*I think this is from the John Boy and Billy show.

1 comment:

Wannabe Bastiat said...

I seriously dislike the show, but "Hey big man, let me hold a dollar" was a running joke at the grocery store for a whole summer.

It is one of the worst shows I have ever listened to.