Tuesday, June 13, 2006

International Colleagues

An Indian (not a Native American, an Indian) orders a steak. The waitress asks, "How would you like it?"

There is two minutes of silence. The Indian is confused. I am covering my mouth trying not to laugh out loud. The waitress is clueless. The Indian asks, "How do most people get it?"

Since we are eating a working class buffet where the steaks are questionable she answers "Well."

"Medium," the Indian responds.


I take three colleagues to Subway for their first time. "How long is footlong?" "Provolone, cheddar or American?" "Swiss." "Do you want your sub toasted?" "No." "I do not like cold subs."

It was a complete disaster. You had to be there.


The Indian colleague says all country songs refer to Kentucky. "What is Kentucky? Some mythical place or something?"

I respond all Indian music involves chanting. This response sets off a mini-argument I do not care to repeat.

Most smart people observe stereotyping in others. They do not observe it in themselves.

No comments: