Monday, June 26, 2006

"I Can't Stop To Dance. Maybe, This Is My Last Chance."*

Stat Boy got mad the semester before he graduated. The program is mediocre. The facilities are outdated. The shit had hit the fan and blew back on him. He wanted to write a letter to the dean. He had legitimate points, but I talked him out of the letter.

Sam challenged me in a comment. He told me it was time to put up or shut up. My vision of the world is different than reality. I have to stop bitching and do something about it. He has a legitimate point.

It is easy to get angry. It is easy to complain. Doing something is difficult. But doing something without fully thinking is deadly.

Like Sam and Stat Boy, I am a dumb kid. I see parts of problems, but I do not know see the whole problem. Part of this program and college's problem is it contradicts the philosophical foundations of America. It was created in a different time when liberty bowed to collectivism. There are other problems that I have missed. I have no solutions, but they will come with time. I would be doing a disservice if I presented solutions now. Sometimes you have to wait and see. You have to let things digest. If you do not, you will create more problems. (Indifference is real and requires time.)

I am at a point in my life where I should be setting my vision for my future. But there is no use getting ahead of myself. I have not learned it all yet.

*U2's "Two Hearts Beat As One" (This song sums how I feel right now.)

2 comments:

Wannabe Bastiat said...

The Masters program is decent, but it could be more focused. Students do research before they are ready. PhD students are not even trained to do research.

We do have to solve our own problems. But this college was created with the mindset that people cannot solve their own problems. We are at a public institution looking for public solutions to public problems.

There are no public problems only individual ones.

Higher education is a fruitless endeavor. It is simply a means to an end. I do not know what I expected out of it, but right now, I am dissapointed. Yeah, I will probably continue, but if I do not change something I will live a living hell.

I am not being cynical. I am being honest with myself.

ML and I talked about how safe this lifestyle is. Sometimes safety is all one wants.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

"Those who would give up liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."~Ben Franklin

Risk aversion makes the world go around.