Monday, August 08, 2005

Intellect

http://opinion.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/08/06/do0601.xml

Read the article. It discusses the lack of rational thought in today's society.

My father always credited my mother with my academic success. She reads all of the time. But, she does not read anything of importance. She reads modern fairy tales. My father does not read much anymore, but he made me read thought provoking books. When I was twelve or thirteen, he suggested I read Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm. He also suggested I read On the Beach about a nuclear apocalypse. My mother has never read any of these books. I tried to get her to read The Plague, but she could not finish it. She did finish Nickel and Dimed though. I love my mother. She is a great nurse and a better person, but I see that she is part of the problem. She is susceptible to irrationality.

No comments: