Monday, February 01, 2010

Bandwidth Questions And Other Thoughts

1.  I know someone who knows things.  He says bandwidth is more valuable than paper.  He criticized the university's new interactive learning website because it is a bandwidth hog.  The other night I went to sleep to Hulu.com.  I forgot that it was on continuous play.  Simpsons clips played all night.  I was too lazy to shut it off.  Besides the electricity (and my monitor went into sleep mode), I suffered zero marginal costs.  I remember Mark Cuban saying that high quality video will never be able to be streamed through computers.  These are the questions of our time.

2.  I really enjoy Mad Men.  I was excited by Jon Hamm hosting SNL.  I watched his opening monologue and most of his sketches (on Hulu.com).  I was throughly disappointed.  I know I am late on this one, but SNL sucks.  By its nature, SNL is going to be hit or miss.  But I don't see how the show survives if they can't make me laugh when my favorite character is hosting.  My wife enjoyed the show live.  She is in the Central Time Zone.  I think this makes a difference, which brings me to:

3.  Humor is very subjective and time dependent.  This is what the Leno-Conan debate is really about.  I would probably enjoy Conan's humor more than Leno if I could stay up at late.  (I would probably watch Letterman.)  I do appreciate Leno's work effort even if he is somewhat of a schemer and an opportunist.  I don't feel sorry for either guy.  But the lesson here is people laugh at what they think is funny.  And laughing is really hard to predict.            

No comments: