Monday, January 07, 2008

Sinus Drops And Real Economic Research

Your head hurts. You feel sick. You feel tired. You know it is probably related to allergies, but that does not change that you feel like shit. That is what my Dad calls a sinus drop.


My Dad kept complaining that the video store was down, "We just aren't doing the business we used to, son." Well I crunched the numbers. He was right. This year's sales were down compared to last year.

But profits were up. I was confused. I could not understand why. Have we somehow reduced our costs? Have we somehow become more technically efficient?

My Dad was unphased, "Something's wrong with your numbers, son. The business isn't the same."

Now there were many reasons why the old man could be right like Netflix, cheap DVDs, general slowdown, and my ordering but being away from the store. But I kept crunching the numbers, there just wasn't any noticeable difference between the two years that would have decreased costs this year or inflated costs the year before.

In the end and as usual, my Dad was right. The year before he had to pay a one time large tax bill. The business is down.

Most importantly, I need to adjust my orders accordingly.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Do you guys have any new plans now that the video rental market is changing? It seems to me that people are paying more for flexibility, paying more but returning the movies whenever they want in the case of netflix. With blockbuster now the rental period is 7-10 days now instead of the old 2-4. I bet that if your dad had such a good sense about the stores finances that he probably has a good idea about what customers want most.