Saturday, July 28, 2007

If You Are Not Doing Anything, Then You Are Not Doing Anything

When I came to graduate school I met some obsessive people, people who could not have fun but studied all of the time, people who could have fun but could not study.

I also met people who could balance life pretty well. These are the people I wanted to be.

But here is the conundrum. The people who could balance did not accomplish anything. They were saner than the obsessives, but who really gives a damn about being sane?

I am obsessive. I have to try and balance, but before I can reach happiness, I have to respect myself. I have to embrace my obsessiveness. I have to accept my ambition while recognizing my shortcomings.

Instead of sitting around doing nothing looking for magical elixirs to cure my Blues, I have to do what I want when I want.

Now I just have to figure out what I want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize a post like this is part autobiography, part "literature".

But I guess accomplishment is in the eye of the beholder. In Bill clintons eyes, my accomplishments are miniscule. In mine, a high school senior's accomplishments are minor. According to parents, their childrens acccomplishemnts are greater than any other child's.

I personally think it's always good to keep the blinders on. No two people are aiming for the same goal - but then again only few people probably know what their goal really is. The less you try to mimic others, the more you are WBB or whoever is more of whoever they are. Then people will probably want to be like you or them.

I know that there is some sort of football analogy that can apply to this. Probably something like - when you spend all your time trying to watch what everybody else is doing - you get caught "standing around" and Buster comes and lays the hurt down on your ass. If only there was some kind of work related cherry picker. I think there really are work related cherry pickers out there though - and people can see through them like crystal.

Gotta go. am hearing some good bluegrass I need to tend to.

GGM

Wannabe Bastiat said...

I need to edit this post. When I say they accomplished nothing, I meant they did not achieve what I want to achieve.

I think that is the issue you are bringing up here. I have to be happy in my own skin.