Saturday, February 24, 2007

Things To Do Today

My Dad has this saying on his wall: "Things to do today: My best."

I could never determine what "my best" entails. I always thought it was a meaningless statement. He and I always do our best given the constraints of the situation. And he and I always think we could do better if we could change the constraints.

But I am begining to understand why he likes that saying. It is easy to sit around in fear. Many people live in fear. Academia, bureaucracy, and goverment survives by fear. Everyone is afraid, afaid to fail, afraid to live, afraid to say fuck it.

When you do your best, you do not worry about what "my best" entails. You do not worry about failure. You give a big "fuck you" to fear and all of those who are afraid.

You probably have to be my Dad's age before you can understand "my best." But I can appreicate the sentiment.

No comments: