Monday, February 26, 2007

The Pagentry Of It All

I watched the Oscars last night. I was torn between the intense jealously from seeing beautiful people and the intense joy from seeing beautiful women. I did not agree with all of the winners, but I really did not give a damn about who won. Well, I did care for video store purposes.

But the hypocrisy of Hollywood and the Left iritated me. The global warming film won numberous awards. Many Hollywoodites considered themselves activists, but they were wearing $10,000 suits and $50,000 dresses. (I actually have no idea what their dresses and suits cost.) How can you claim to care about the poor, global warming, or any other issue that requires sacrifice and be wearing $100,000 worth of jewlry.

I am a libertarian. Hollywoodites should make as much money as they can. They should buy as expensive clothes as they want. But do not stand on a million dollar stage and tell me to sacrifice.

They once had a global warming conference in Japan. American and European scientists jumped on hundreds of planes, burnt tons of jet fuel, and went to Japan for a conference on how to limit global warming.

Non-profit directors and employees get paid huge salaries. Sam says that non-profits need good people, and you get good people by paying them. Again that is fine, but do not fake moral superiority and ask me to sacrifice.

If Al Gore spends $50,000 on a suit and after-parties, then I should be able to spend my $50,000 on a carbon emitting Cheverolet 3500 pick-up truck without his interference.

I comes before you.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

This is completely off topic, but how are you doing with the goals that you set for yourself at the beginning of the year? Personally, I haven't been getting in enough cardio work but at least I haven't been regressing. What did you have in mind in terms of participating in more recreational sports? Are we going to have a soccer game for the Buchanan Cup?