Sunday, August 20, 2006

They Were Not Perfect, But They Believed In Something"*

*A preacher describing the founding fathers.

You have to believe in something. You have to believe in yourself.

Yesterday Sam got a Chinese fortunate that said character is built upon courage. He disagreed with the fortunate, but the Chinese are wise.

I have been lost in a dense fog for a year. I have no idea who I am, what I want, or why anything matters. I go back and forth between being moderately and mildly depressed. Everything I have done has been half-ass. From the outside, it is a sad situation. From the inside, it is frightening. It feels like I am locked in a closet. Every now and then, I see the light, but the light does not stay.

My fear, my depression comes from fear, from the lack of courage. I do not have the courage to look into the mirror. I do not have the courage to get out of bed. I do not have the courage to distinguish between right and wrong.

Very few know who they are, what they want, or why anything matters. But they find the courage to act. Action requires courage. Blind action, action for action's sake accomplishes nothing. But sometimes, you have to weigh the odds and roll the dice.

Rolling the dice takes courage.

No comments: