Saturday, August 26, 2006

How Do Things Work

Sam, GGM and I have been arguing about change. I argue change can and should come rapidly. Sam and GGM argues change can only come incrementally.

We agree the world faces problems. We agree on world's imperfection. But how do we change the world?

My problem with incremental change is it denies the ideal. People get so caught up in the intermediate steps, in their own actions, they forget the big picture. WTO negotioators forget free trade's universal benevolence in favor of political bickering.

It is Hayek's "good intentions." The WTO is a small step forward. But it does not solve problems. Good intentions pave the road to hell.

Well I have lost the motivation to properly finish this post. Small steps might eventually get us there, but I doubt it. With big steps, we might overstep or blow our load too early. I do not what way is better, but I do not think the answer lies in science, NGOs, or government.

No comments: