Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Life Or Death

My Neo-Marxist professor says everything occurs in a social context. There is no individual. People buy IPODs because everyone else is buying them. They do not provide any value to their users. Value has to be determined in a social context.

He is full of shit. I am the only one who knows what I want. I have the right to exist. I value American football. If I had grown up in Argentina, I would not value it, but who is to say the Argentinean is right? I allow Argentineans to value futbol, and they allow me to value football. I value. Of course, social context contributes to my opinions, but it does not coerce me into going to football games.

My professor assumes I am stupid. He assumes that I cannot decide. He assumes that he knows best. He is full of shit. I would like to send him back to his ideal, the middle ages. He would not survive long. I would like to spit on his bloated body after he has died from the plague or starvation. I know this sounds harsh, but accepting his philosophy is death. I do not want to die.

A collective cannot value. There are social and marketing effects but it does not change the fact that value comes from the individual.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanna Be, I thank you're going about this the wrong way. You're telling me that you don't believe that what society does, has an influence on your decisions? You're absolutely right, in that you have your own free will, but I don't think that is what your professor is trying to say. Granted, I never heard your professor speak, but hell man, I kind of want an IPod just because everyone else has one on the metro. Your professor is saying you have to do anything, I think he's trying to convey the tendencies of society.

Wannabe Bastiat said...

You want a IPod because you value it. Yes, that value is influenced by other people, but you have to make the decision to purchase one or not.

The professor says the IPod has no value. It is a meaningless thing created by big business to steal money from our consumer crazed society. It should be outlawed. He says that you are an idiot for wanting one, and he must save you from your ignorance.

I will have to work on this argument later.