Monday, January 12, 2009

Winning The Big One

My dad sponsored a rec league softball team when I was high school. The team was a story in itself, an eclectic mix of old high school stars past their prime and high schoolers still searching for their prime. We won the regular season championship two years in a row. But we didn't win the postseason playoff either year. (I and some of my teammates were somewhat limited because the playoffs were during two-a-days, but I make no excuses.)

Now it made my dad mad when a guy who once played told him that all that mattered were the postseason playoffs. "The regular season doesn't matter. It is about winning the big one."

Maybe they guy was right. But all I remember are the stories about the old guys past their prime and the guys who were still waiting on their prime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the guy must have had a few bolts loose. Who really thinks that winning the post-season championship in a rec softball league is what its all about? If it isn't about team building or pushing yourself or just an excuse to get outside and get fresh air and exercise then what? I think the comment had to be about signaling of some sort or another rather than a statement of belief.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever played softball/baseball. I could hit .193 for the season as long as I got hot for the playoffs. If we didn't make the playoffs it was a waste of spring and summer.

Right now I'd take hitting .450 in the NL Championship Series over being David Orden or Steven Levitt every day of the week.