Thursday, June 19, 2008

Video Stores Or Why Family Businesses Fail

1. My Dad turned down a thirty days free account for a cash on delivery account. "It is just easier." I had the whole thing worked out, but the woman bypassed me and went to the old man. I guess she knew what she was doing. I guess he knows what he is doing.

2. He is complaining about documentaries and foreign films not creating high enough returns. He has a point. But the idea was always to develop a yuppie-artsy clientele that liked going to video stores with documentaries and foreign films. To build this clientele there has to be some cross-subsidization.

3. We have the best employee we have ever had. She is organized and driven. She makes us a lot of money. But she does not share my vision. This combined with number one and two infuriates me. I might just be an absentee buyer, but I would rather not care than be this angry.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

The last two sentences of #1 say more than the rest of the post. I can only imagine what it must have been like in generations past where fathers and their son worked a farm together. I am not sure how they didn't drive each other completely nuts.

Anonymous said...

sam - as for the generations past comment - i'd say that's equally true for generations present. farming,video stores,etc. those are issues that no mba can teach a person.

GGM