Saturday, April 28, 2007

When I Was A Kid

When I was around 10 to 12 years old I created this fictitious band called The Organic Mangoes.

The name The Organic Mangoes was a mix between box of mangoes my Dad received at the store and U2's original name The Virgin Prunes.

The band was completely fictitious. Its only reality was in my head and on a few pieces of paper where I wrote The Organic Mangoes' song titles.

The Organic Mangoes' guitarist's name was Ghost and always wore a ski mask. I imagined myself being Ghost.

The Organic Mangoes' greatest hits included Psychedelic Castle (a tribute to Hendrix's Spanish Castle Magic) and Riverboat Gambler (I was reading Twain and I was into Rush's Tom Sawyer).

The Organic Mangoes did not tour much. In fact they did not like their own music. They were disinterested in fame, but they were incredibly rich because they sold more albums than anyone else and their few shows always sold out (the disinterested founding fathers and stoicism infatuated me).

The Organic Mangoes were never happy. They were always searching for a perfection that did and could not exist. But they were rich and famous.

2 comments:

nitwicks@cox.net said...

I loved the Mangoes! When I would have to turn down party invitations in high school it was because I was going to see a band and sometimes- once or twice maybe- The Organic Mangoes opened. I'm sure of it... at least, there was a guy in a ski mask playing a guitar... that's the way I remember it.

Dig your blog.

~~Nit

Anonymous said...

I liked this one as well.

It kind of has a nice tone to it if your read it with a Daniel Stern voiceover like The Wonder Years.

For some reason I'd imagine that the Organic Mangoes incorporated an excessive use of bandanas. My alter egos always did..

If only someone produced a book on the "Philosophy of a 11 year old" , spoken in the first person. I'd be the first one in line.

GGM