Monday, January 22, 2007

Time

I started the year with the goal to write more intelligent and regular blog posts. So far, I have failed. And that is okay.

But I have been reading Thomas Jefferson. The man must have written constantly. And when he was not writing, he must have been reading. He is an excellent example of what one can do without TV. He knew about everything. He wrote about everything.

My Granddad used to buy at big fruit markets. He would get there at about 4:00AM and walk up and down the market until 9:00AM. Anyone whoever went with him used to complain that they "wore out their shoes" following him. No matter what was at the market, he would look at everything. "Walking the market" maximized profits or at least his utility (whatever the hell that means).

But my favorite professor once told me "everyone must specialize, specialize, specialize!"

Specialization scares me. It scares the Office Space generation. I grew up watching Headline News, Sportscenter, and Jeopardy. I know a lot of useless information. I cannot let it go to waste.

Now the best guys know a little about everything. But to get to be one of the best guys in academia or any professional career, you have to specialize and separate yourself. A dissertation that takes on a big subject does not get approved. A young professor who knows a little about a lot does not get any papers published.

But fuck it. I am going to keep "walking the market."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jack of all trades,
Master of none.
Happier than most,
Respected by all.
Satisfaction is life,
Not a goal.
Living out your dreams.

Jack of few trades,
Master of one.
Sadder than most,
Respected by one.
Satisfaction is a goal,
Not reached in life.
Living in a dream.


GGM