Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Potential Health Care Study

Some colleges and high schools require "wellness" or health classes. Other colleges and high schools do not. It would be interesting to compare health data for graduates for these competing schools (controlling for other possible effects). Basically you run a dummy variable in your regression telling whether the person had a class emphasizing health or not.

My and GGM's hypothesis is those students who went through organized classes on "wellness" are no better off than those students who did not.

I am curious to hear Sam's and Jeff's thoughts about this idea and their hypotheses. I am also curious to know if someone has already done this study.

Notice I understand that measuring health is complicated. I think BMI is a poor measure. To measure health correctly, you have to look at a variety of features, but this post represents an idea not a master plan. Also everyone knows my distrust of statistics and regression equations, but I am curious.

No comments: